The DRG Class 86 was a standard goods tank engine with the Deutsche Reichsbahn-Gesellschaft. It was expected for service on branch lines and was conveyed by all German train building companies working for the Reichsbahn. From 1942 it was built in a simpler form as a ‘transitional war train’. The most evident changes were the exclusion of the second side windows in the cab and the solid disc carrying wheels.
All German train production lines partook in building these locomotives, 775 engines being created in the period from 1928 to 1943. Its region of operations was mostly the routes in Germany’s central mountains; therefore, the initial 10 units were given a Riggenbach counter-weight brake. Twenty trains were destroyed during the Second World War; lightly damaged locomotives were repaired. Of the first 775 units, 175 went to the GDR railroads, 385 to the Deutsche Bundesbahn, 29 to the Austrian Federal Railways, 44 to the PKP in Poland as the Class TKt3, 73 to the SZD and 62 to the CSD. On the last-mentioned 62 engines, 28 were turned into the CSD Class 455.2. Just 2 engines are still unaccounted for. The ÖBB started to retire the engines ahead of schedule in 1945, yet the last did not retire until 1972. Notwithstanding, the Austrian motors had the absolute most staggering duties, including working twofold headed on heavy, empty, ore trains with a DRB Class 52.
The Bundesbahn positioned the greater part of its 86’s in Nuremberg for the Franconian branch lines and the marshalling yards there. The train shed at Hof, Germany was likewise famous Class 86 territory. Short, semi-quick trains were likewise routinely pulled by the Class 86. The DB resigned its last BR 86 engine in 1974.
On the GDR railroads, the 86’s were principally positioned at Aue motor shed for the surrounding Erzgebirge routes. Some DR motors positioned at Heringsdorf shed on the island of Usedom were even given smoke deflectors. One well-known task was a fast-stopping train with 7 Bghw coaches, yet light express trains were also on their timetable in the central mountains. The Class 86’s last year in service in the DR was 1976, however, a few locomotives kept on running on into the 1980s. Since its initiation in 1928, no. 86 001/86 1001 was under steam practically consistently, yet in its later years was frequently utilized as a heating engine. Its last duties were on the stub line from Schlettau to Crottendorf, where it finished its steam service in 1988. Together with 86 501, this loco was indeed taken into scheduled service for seven days in 1989 to commend the centennial of the route. With a service age of 60 years, it turned into the longest-serving of all the standard trains to be put in planned service by a national railroad. Since 1999, no. 86 001 has been mothballed. No. 86 1056 met a sad end in 1989 when she was the last casualty of the GDR’s scrapping frenzy and was changed over into a portable steam dispenser. Its driving gear and cylinders went into the furnace.